Building Permit Process
Project is $50,000 or more and includes work involving or similar to construction that is performed with respect any facility including but not limited to reconstruction, substantial alteration, repair, remodeling, renovation, or change in use.
Project is less than $50,000 but involves any of the following:
- a change or increase in the size, type, or extent of an existing facility;
- cutting away of any wall, partition, or portion thereof;
- cutting or removal of a structural beam or load-bearing support;
- removal of, or change in a required means of egress;
- rearrangement of parts affecting exit requirements;
- addition to, alteration of, replacement, or relocation of any standpipe, drain leader, or gas, soil, waste, water supply, sewer drainage, vent or similar piping;
- electrical wiring;
- other required building system.
Step #1: Architect develops construction documents with affixed seal and signature per School Board request. The School board gives approval, prepares and submits two copies of the following to the Regional Superintendent:
- 36-10 Application for Building Permit, all signed and sealed plans and specifications.
- 36-11 Plan Review Statement
- 36-35 Confirmation of Plan Review Records.
- 35-66 Application for Variance (if applicable)
Step #2: The Regional Superintendent (or designee) issues a Building Permit and returns one set of the plans and specifications, with the Regional Superintendent’s Approval in Writing affixed. The BUILDING PERMIT, and the approved plans and specifications should be kept at the site of work to serve as a basis for all subsequent inspections.
Occupancy Permit Process
Step #1: School Board wishes to occupy a facility after work has been completed. The Architect prepares and the school board submits the following to the Regional Superintendent:
- 36-15 Application for Occupancy/Completion
- 36-36 Inspection Statements
- 36-37 Confirmation of Called Inspection Records (Larger projects may require progress monitoring or multiple filings of this form)
- 36-12 Temporary Facility Report (if applicable)
Step #2: After the application and all required forms are received, the Regional Superintendent will issue one of the following:
- Certificate of Occupancy
- Certificate of Partial Occupancy
- Certificate of Occupancy – Vehicular Facility
- Certificate of Occupancy – Temporary Facility