Executive Order 21-22 Regarding All School Personnel
Short-Term Substitute Teacher License (STS):
Must hold an Associate’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution of higher education or show completion of 60 semester hours of non-remedial coursework from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
- Valid for substitute teaching in all grades of the public schools, prekindergarten through grade 12.
- Short-Term Substitute licenses are valid until June 30, 2023, and may not be renewed.
- Cannot teach more than 5 consecutive days per licensed teacher.
- Must complete a training program provided by the school board.
- Can serve as a Paraprofessional
***Please be aware that not all school districts accept the STS.***
Obtain a Short-Term Substitute License
- Go to https://www.isbe.net/.
- Click on System Quick Links at the top of the page.
- Select ELIS: Educator Licensure Information System.
- Click on Login to your ELIS account under the “Educator Access” option.
- Enter with your Login Name and Password.
- If you have not created an ELIS account, click on Sign Up Now and create an account.
- Below the “Action Center” box on the home page of your ELIS account, you will find the Apply for Credential option.
- Click the Short-Term Substitute License (STS) option.
- Selecting that link will take you through a wizard that walks you step by step through the application process.
- The application wizard instructs individuals to send official transcripts directly to the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE). Be aware that official transcripts can also be submitted to this office. A paper transcript is considered official if it is still sealed in the envelope as prepared by the college Registrar. Paper transcripts can be sent to the Will County ROE address listed on this website. ISBE will accept electronic transcripts from reputable sources such as E-script IF you request that the electronic transcript be e-mailed directly to Carina Frausto at email@example.com. We cannot accept electronic transcripts that are copies of what you received from a service. Official transcripts already on file in ELIS do not need to be re-submitted. Educators can see the list of documents uploaded into their ELIS account by viewing the Images tab.
- Once issued, ISBE will send you an e-mail notification. You must then register the license in Will County ROE 56 by selecting the registration option from the “Action Center” box on the home page of your ELIS account.
- Selecting that link will take you through another wizard that walks you step by step through the registration process.
- It is $25 plus processing fee to apply and no cost to register. Currently, the STS application fee is being waived. See details below.
Public Act 102-0867 provides that the application fee for a short-term substitute teaching license shall be waived when the governor has declared a disaster due to a public health emergency. The law is effective immediately.
- Since Illinois moved to licensure in 2013, ISBE no longer issues a paper or electronic version of a license. The only verification individuals can print is a screenshot of the Credential page of the Educator Licensure Information System(ELIS) account.
*You must first have the Short-Term Substitute Teaching License registered in Will County to obtain a Short-Term Substitute Teacher Authorization*
To receive a “Short-Term Substitute Teacher Authorization”:
The following documentation must be provided before a “Short-Term Substitute Teacher Authorization” will be issued by the Will County Regional Office of Education:
**Please open forms in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Some forms may not open using other web browsers.**
- Substitute Teacher Information Form (Includes Physician's Statement of Good Health - Must be dated within 90 days of fingerprinting appointment)
- Substitute Permission Form
- Employment Eligibility Verification Form/I-9 /Instructions (Two forms of original identification are required. Drivers License-being one, and either Passport or Social Security Card or Birth Certificate.)
- Acknowledgement of Mandated Reporter Status/DCFS
- Will County Sub List Request Form** The Will County ROE maintains a countywide sub-list available to all 29 school districts.
- Physician’s statement of good health and freedom from communicable disease, signed by a physician and not more than 90 days old. Please keep a copy of these for your records.
- Call and set up an appointment for fingerprinting (appointments are taken on Tuesdays/Thursdays only). There is a $39.00 fee to perform a criminal background check (cash, personal check or money order). Applicants are responsible for all fees associated with performing a criminal background check.
**indicates document is optional
Fees for Short-Term Substitute Teacher Authorization:
$39.00 Fingerprinting fee(criminal background check)
$5.00 Duplicate "Substitute Teacher Authorization" Fee (replacement of original authorization)
If you do not have all of your documentation and fees with you on the day of your fingerprinting appointment, you will have to reschedule.