Dr. Lisa Caparelli-Ruff

Regional Superintendent

Work Permits


Work Permits

Minor Work Permits

Illinois State Law Work Permit Requirements

Minor’s Work Permits will not be issued unless ALL required documents are submitted (no exceptions).

Age 15 and under:

  1. Letter of Intent from Employer: The letter of intent should be on company letterhead and must include address, phone number, and name of supervisor as well as position title, employer/company name, stating nature of work and approximate hours and days minor shall be employed each week. Letter will not be accepted if information is missing (no exceptions).
  2. Minor’s Original Birth Certificate or a certificate of baptism must be presented in person or scanned in email.
  3. Minor’s Original Social Security Card or a verification letter from Social Security must be presented in person or scanned in email.
  4. Parent or Guardian’s Valid State ID or Driver’s License: to verify Illinois residence.
  5. Parent or Guardian’s Phone Number
  6. Minor’s Statement of Physical Fitness: signed by a physician certifying that the minor is in good health to perform the job in question and must be dated within the last year (no exceptions).
  7. Principal's Statement to Issuing Officer Form: to verify the minor is in good standing with schoolwork/activities. May be acquired by the minor’s current school administration office (only required during school year).
  8. Trust/Coogan’s Account verification for all children working in the entertainment industry (model or actor) parent or guardian MUST have confirmation on bank stationary that they have established a trust fund in the minor’s name with parent/guardian’s name before they can have an approved employment certificate.
    The trust account is not needed if they are only working as an extra or in background. We cannot accept UTMA savings accounts per Illinois Child Labor Law Compliance. 

Children under 14 may only work for the following:

  1. Umpire or referee at sporting events.
  2. Performing in theatrical, motion picture, or broadcast production.

Illinois Child Labor Law Compliance Website

To request a Work Permit, please contact:

Jaelin Werner

For additional questions, please call (815) 740-8360

The required documents may be submitted through email at jwerner@willcountyillinois.com OR in person at the
Downtown Joliet Regional Office of Education.

There is a five-business day processing period.